Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Summer Solstice and Midsummer .

It's that time of year again when we get the maximum daylight before the days start getting shorter. The whole cycle of life continues with it's regular peaks and troughs. It is at this time of year that I become reflective and sum thinks up. The book that I am reading at the moment is called The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini which raises in the reader many issues about life. This post is not to discuss this excellent book which I will review when I finish reading it. This book however has lead me to question many things which I aim to outline in this post.

Life rolls on like the earth continues it's orbit. The cycle of life is quite regular as the seasons pass. People come and people go all the time. People leave and come into the workplace all the time. People are given names at work but really they are just a number, another wage number. A month after that employee has gone and things are just the same. That ex-employee has been forgotten and we then realize that every one at work is just a wage number.

Life ends for most people in their 70's but there are many that die younger. Take out of these numbers the people who die in wars and road traffic accidents and you have a considerable number who do not reach 50. An old friend of mine in Bristol passed away recently - he was the same age as me, 49. He did not know that his death was coming just around the corner, like a bolt out of the blue. Gail's cousin who was in his 40's has just died, a big surprise to everyone.

How long will I live? Will I suddenly have a bolt out of the blue? I feel very well and in perfect health but so did Paul and Grayson. Then the thoughts generated by this book spring into my mind. What will I leave behind on this earth? The memory of me in this blog will remain in cyberspace for anybody to read. People who have never met me when I was alive, so that they can put opinions behind yet another number who walked this earth. Is this all I am, just another number who walked this earth? Will I be forgotten just like another ex-employee?

I look around and I understand what I have during this life. I now understand about life, friends and family. I understand about love and hope, the past and a future that may be long or short. I know what we have as individuals and as a society. I know the power of numbers and how we are both small and big in other peoples' lives. I do not fear the death that will come to us all, for we are just a number walking this earth.

As another season and cycle of life starts I know my place as a very small, forgettable number on this earth. Sweet dreams everyone!
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]