Saturday, August 23, 2008

What's in your bag?

I take a holdall with me to work in which I put all my stuff. I tend to accumulate lots of useful things that I simply put into this holdall. It is very easy to end up carrying an awful lot of stuff with you everyday. I am not alone in this as I have noticed that other coach drivers working for this nationwide company also have large bags containing lots of useful stuff.

There comes at time however, when you must have a cull and reduce the amount of things you are carrying with you every day. Gail has got me a new bag for me to take to work as a birthday present. I quite fancied a tidy, small rucksack like the one that Matthew takes with him. We chose a nice 18 Litre number from Mountain Equipment which should provide good service for a number of years to come.

So today I have gone through my holdall and placed upstairs all the things in it that I do not need to take with me everyday. We have a nice home, so unless I will really need something, then things should be stored at home, not my work bag. I will not bore readers of this blog with what I have taken out, anyone working in transport will know what sort of extras you can carry! The simple rule I applied was, what would happen if I did not carry this item? Would I get in trouble? Would I die? Would the earth stop rotating? You get the idea, why carry coals to Newcastle or in my case extras to Bradford, Edinburgh or London?

Wow! what a difference in weight and room in my holdall!

Any transport drivers reading this blog, what's in your bag? You could be carrying lots of unnecessary kit in your bag. Have a cull and leave the extras at home, you know it makes sense. I trust there is nobody out there who still carries the large ring binder with ALL the times and fare charts in for the WHOLE network. I know some drivers still do as I saw one ring binder behind the windscreen of a coach parked overnight in Bradford the other day! Some drivers have been spotted with their own suitcase, some with wheels and an extensible handle, which is rather sad and camp!

To any women who may have stumbled across this blog: my wife has a large handbag and every now and again she has to have a clear out! This heavy bag syndrome is not just a man thing!
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]