Friday, November 14, 2008

The shirt on your back.

My employer provides a uniform to wear under contract to a nationwide company. Over time the collars of these shirts will wear through and need to be replaced. I asked Philip my line manager a long time ago for some new uniform shirts and he told me that things were a little difficult because the nationwide company will be changing it's uniform. Time went on and no new shirts came so I resorted to the old style striped uniform shirts that still had wear in them. These striped shirts were replaced by plain shirts when the nationwide company rebranded it's livery and uniform. A shirt is a shirt to me and all the Allen and Douglas workwear is good gear.

I thought nothing of this as uniform issue is simply uniform issue. The other day in Glasgow a passenger asked me if I knew I was wearing a Bengal Stripe Shirt ? This was news to me so I looked it up on the internet. A few staff members have noticed I am wearing the old uniform shirt but they are in the same boat as me and are awaiting the new uniform when it appears. On Wednesday Philip noticed I was wearing the old shirt and asked me why, so I reminded him of our conversation a long time ago. He told me that the new uniform would not appear until next April but he would see if he could get me some new shirts in the existing uniform style. I do not expect any shirts to come but it is rather funny to see drivers all over the network wearing different shirts! Maybe drivers who have been here a fair time could start wearing the old red pullovers just because we can? We are always warned to keep old uniform from getting into the wrong hands so most drivers have a stock of old uniform issue in the back of their wardrobes. I have, some of it unworn and it is all good gear! The trousers however have remained the same over the years and I cannot spot the difference between one blue pair and another. It is quite nice to be able to change the style of shirt I wear at work having got a little bored with the plain blue shirts!
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]