Monday, February 16, 2009

Nat West employee who posted advice on websites is fired.

For more than two years Tim Keirman was the mystery guardian angel of the bank charges campaign. While still working for NatWest he helped thousands of customers get their money back by posting anonymous guidance on consumer forum websites, much to the chagrin of his employers. Last week, his identity was finally discovered by the bank. Its revenge was swift, and savage.

Mr Keirman, a 34-year-old cashier and MoneySense adviser for NatWest's Cambridge branch since 1998, yesterday revealed his identity to the IoS. After a disciplinary hearing last Wednesday, he was sacked for gross misconduct. Mr Keirman dedicated his spare time to helping customers navigate the bureaucracy needed to get their money back by offering targeted advice and leaking internal guideline documents.

A spokeswoman for NatWest said last night: "We can confirm that a member of NatWest staff has recently been dismissed for gross misconduct for releasing confidential internal information without authorisation to a third party."

...Well, here is a bank for everyone to avoid. Nat West have those sickening adverts on television where a Money Sense adviser chats to a customer. "Money Sense adviser!" I laugh at the television. These employees are sales people who have to meet targets and it is their job to sell you products and services that Nat West market.

Tim Keirman however has a moral compass and in his own time helped members of the public fight against unfair bank charges. He did not gain financially from his efforts or even claim credit for his input because his work was anonymous. Nat West has shown itself to be nothing more than a profit orientated bully in sacking Tim.

Nat West were wrong to sack Tim, this was not gross misconduct but sour grapes by a management who wish to stop free thought and expression outside the workplace. This is business and not a military operation where careless talk could endanger lives. No lives were lost by Tim's advice, only a few quid easy profit.

I hope that a rival bank will offer Tim a job with them as he has shown he has a conscience. Banks like to be thought of as friendly and approachable not as profit hungry piranhas.
Comments:
I think it was wrong for NatWest to sack him, but his prospects of getting work in a similar position within the same industry in the current climate are very slim.

While I agree that banks like to portray a positive, friendly, approachable and helpful image, they have no guarantee that he wont do the same while in their employ. Of course he'll claim that he has no intention of doing so, though this is largely academic as I can't see any bank wishing to take such a risk.
 
My name is Tim Keirman and the natwest statement is why I was sacked. There was no immediate rage against me, simply a suspension and disciplinary meeting which resulted in the end of my banking career. I would never work in financial services again because they will never hire me again.
@GL, I won't claim anything of the sort to be honest, because I will be upfront what I did and why I was sacked and I will have no regrets saying this. As it happens, I work as a cleaner, and my life has moved onwards. I was only aware of the blog today which is why I have responded today. I remain on Internet based forums and in fact my knowledge on financial hardship cases actually improved AFTER leaving the bank. I continue to help members of the public on financial issues should they require that.
 
Tim:
Thanks for leaving a comment. I am glad to read that you have moved on from your dismissal and have found another job. It is a credit to you that you continue to support internet forums. The banks have a lot to answer for, especially with the Eurozone crisis surrounding Greece.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]