Friday, July 24, 2009

Getting the right man in .

We all have our talents and we find some things easier than others. Over time our garage door has become a little rickety and recently it jammed on me again. It has jammed a few times and I have had to jiggle the cable around the left hand cone to tease the door into compliance. A couple of weeks ago it jammed again and no jiggling with the left hand cone made it work as the right hand cone would not release. Christopher and I played with it, we tugged and pushed in all directions and no joy was had. We pulled some more and eventually we got it to close. The garage was secure but the door would not stay up to put our car inside. Still, our car is okay on our drive, the garage locks so I could fix it another day.

I go inside our garage, I prod and poke. I push and pull but still no better. I look on the internet to learn how garage door mechanisms work. I sleep on many ideas of how to fix our garage door. I come back another day and use an Allen key to release the spring clamp. This appears to make no difference except it makes the door really heavy to lift up. I try moving this spring clamp again but it still is no better. The door is very heavy to lift, it will not stay up and both cables will not wind onto their cones and stay slack all the time. I concede defeat and agree to call a man in. I draw up a short list of telephone numbers after looking on the internet and yellow pages. I go to work for my day job and leave the telephone calls to Gail. We compare quotes and attitude of competing companies and decide to go with The Garage Door Centre of Unit 9, The Brickyard Business Park, Western Avenue, Cardiff CF14 3AT Telephone Number 029 20694111. They agree to come the next day to fix our garage door.

I was at work when the guy came so I missed the fun. Basically it went like this, guy looks at the door and asks who has been trying to fix this! He tells Gail it will take around 30 minutes to fix. He replaces both cones and cables. He sets up the spring and the other adjusters. He has finished his job and asks Gail to inspect his work. Well, Gail cannot believe it. You unlock the handle and the door lifts up like a duvet. It is so light to lift and Gail is shocked by how easy it is to open. It rises to the top without the previous extra push being required. Gail tells the guy that it has never opened like this from new, 10 years ago. Ah, replies the guy, that is because the door was fitted by a general builder and not a garage door fitter. So Gail pays the guy the amount that was agreed over the telephone, £65 plus VAT, totaling £74.75p.

I am very pleased with our garage door and this tale shows that sometimes you simply have to get the right man in.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]