Sunday, October 11, 2009

Body of Lies , the film.

On the 3rd of May 2009 I wrote a review of a book called Body of Lies by David Ignatius on this blog. A workmate of mine, called Matthew, passed me the film that was based on this book. I so much enjoyed the book, I gave it the maximum score of 5 stars on Book Army , so I settled down with beer and biscuits to enjoy this film.

Body of Lies, the film, is 128 minutes long and was directed by Ridley Scott. It stars Leonardo DiCaprio as Roger Ferris, Russell Crowe as Ed Hoffman and Mark Strong as Hani Salaam. I watched this film with an open mind and I really enjoyed it. Like with the book, you get so far along and you think what the hell is going on? There are differences between the story in the book and the story in the film but this does not spoil your enjoyment of either. The film however did not spend much time exploring the complex relationship that developed between Roger Ferris and Hani Salaam or the romance between Roger Ferris and Aisha.

So, all that is left is the age old question, for your money, which is the better buy, the book or the film? I think that the book is better than the film because you get so much more story in the book. You feel as though you are living with a book for maybe 10 to 21 days depending on your daily reading time. You can never capture the full content of a book within the time restrictions of a film, it just cannot be done. I think that most books are and will always be better than any film adaptation. However, if you want to enjoy beer and biscuits then the film is the better choice!

This film was not a woman's choice, I told Gail just how good the book was but she was not interested and spent the time on this computer instead.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]