Thursday, March 04, 2010

The Chamber by John Grisham .

The back cover of this 598 page book reads...

Adam Hall is in his first year at a top Chicago law firm. He volunteers for the toughest assignment any lawyer could ask for.

His prospective client doesn't want Adam or his law firm. He is an unrepentant and outspoken racist with a violent past. His is on Death Row for the murder of two Jewish children in an horrific bombing in 1967. Why would he want to take on Adam, a complete novice, to defend him? And why would Adam want his case so desperately? The answer lies in the past, in a twenty-year-old secret buried in the madness of another time.

...Well, that sounds interesting doesn't it. A novel that promises dark secrets which were buried in the past involving a prisoner on death row. Can Adam stop the prisoner from being taken from Death Row into the gas chamber? The Chamber was written in 1994 and was reissued by Arrow Books in 2007. John Grisham is a top selling author with over 20 novels to his name. So, you read the blurb on the back, discover the success of the author and think that you will be onto a good book. WRONG!

Oh yes, the blurb on the back cover was well written but that was about as good as it gets. I found The Chamber a big disappointment. I think John's writing style is poor, maybe okay for writing a soap opera like Eastenders, where characters chat among themselves asking relentless questions but he has not got the skills for adult storytelling. I will give this book one star on book army because I think it is rubbish. I developed no empathy for Adam or Sam, the Death Row prisoner. I am against the Death Penalty on moral grounds but reading this novel I could not care less whether Sam lived or died. There was nothing really interesting about The Chamber, nothing really surprising happened and nothing challenged the reader. All the book did was crawl slowly towards the end which was like having an extra large helping of baked beans. I have nothing to recommend this book for, although 2 of my friends liked The Chamber and they said it made them question their views on the Death Penalty. This book did not question my views on the Death Penalty, watching the Saddam Hussein hanging video certainly did though!

I would like to thank Matthew for passing onto me his copy of The Chamber but I do not rate John Grisham as an author.
Comments:
The next book I shall be passing to you is digital fortress by dan brown.I know you didnt like deception point, I did, but I believe that digital fortress is better from what I have read so far.
However, I believe you will not like this book either Steve as it has no rough sex scenes in it!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]