Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Rev. on BBC2 television.

Rev. is a new comedy programme being broadcast on BBC2 television. It is a series of 6 episodes running at 30 minutes each. Meet The Rev. Adam Smallbone. He’s a Church of England Vicar, newly promoted from a sleepy rural parish to the busy, inner-city world of St Saviour’s in East London.

I have now watched the first 2 episodes of this series and I think that this programme is a hoot! I found this programme very funny and a joy to watch. The dialogue between the characters is spot-on and rather witty. Rev. has a lovely mix between comedy and the issues facing the church today. The Church of England is a very broad church and this comedy programme reflects how this diversity affects the work of Adam. It has a light hearted look at the many issues raging within Christianity as a whole and the problems encountered by all clergymen in fullfilling their roles. This comedy is not heavy or tired, it is light, fun and up to date. Do not confuse this new sitcom with that dreadful The Vicar of Dibley .

James Wood has written a lovely comedy and I hope that Rev. is re-commissioned for another series. I think this comedy should appeal to a lot of viewers regardless of your own religious views. I find the script realistic and very true to life for an inner-city parish. This week's episode featured the differences between the happy-clappy, young and fashionable evangelists with the more traditional, yet liberal Anglicans. I found this really funny and you do not need a theology degree to understand the issues fully to enjoy the programme. I must get my father to watch this programme as I am sure it will bring a smile to his face. If there is anything wrong with the script, I am sure he will point it out. If Rev. does feature in a later episode the issue of women Priests, then I am sure my father will have a lot to say!
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]