Saturday, July 24, 2010

Surge mentality.

I am very saddened by the above report into the 15 dead and about 100 injured at a music festival in Duisburg, Germany. At least 15 people died at the Love Parade music festival in Germany today when they were crushed inside a tunnel during a stampede caused by panic. The disaster happened when revellers took a short cut through a tunnel that was too narrow to cope with the crowds.

Kevin Krausgartner, 21, from Wuppertal, who was in the tunnel when panic broke out, told Welt Online of the "gruesome scenes" he had witnessed. "I've never seen anything like it," he said. "There were 25 people lying in a heap. I screamed – people could no longer get any air. I saw dead people, and one person was sitting there looking extremely pale. I wanted to give him some water, but the ambulance medic told me there was no point as he was already dead." Krausgarnter said he saw police "standing on the bridge and doing nothing".

...This avoidable tragedy really angers me. It highlights the surge mentality of the general public all over the world. People in public places appear to surge towards anything of interest with their "me first" attitude. It does not matter where the location is, it is this mindless surge mentality that offends me.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]