Thursday, August 19, 2010

When talking hurts.

Eating dinner in Bradford on Saturday night I felt a crunch. I got the food out of my mouth and looked at it. There was maybe a very small piece of bone in my lamb burger. Bad luck I thought, although I have never had bone in my burger before. I finished my meal and thought nothing more about it.

Sunday morning and my tongue hurts on the right hand side. I put my finger in my mouth to smooth it and catch my finger on my back tooth. Ouch! I thought, that feels sharp! I feel the tooth again and wonder if it was not bone in my burger last night but that my tooth had broken? Ah, more bad luck I think as I start work to do the service back to Cardiff. Making the regular announcements over the microphone on the coach really starts to hurt my tongue. This is bad I thought, how long before my tongue heals? Drinking water on my rest break in Birmingham is painful too. When I get home and start eating my dinner, I find eating is painful. Finishing my dinner was a slow and painful drag. I could only manage sips and I could not drink normally.

Monday comes and my lunch is a slow, painful meal to swallow. Still I was fit for work and even managed to joke with Matthew in Cardiff Central Station about making an Improvised Explosive Device from his can of AdBlue . Eating my yogurt in Birmingham seemed to take an amazing 15 minutes as I tried not to hurt my tongue. Passenger announcements over the microphone were painful and softly spoken. When I got to Bradford my usual 30 minute telephone call with Gail was truncated to just 8 minutes because of my mumbling. Talking on the telephone to her simply hurt too much.

Tuesday morning and I still felt no better. I tried breakfast, drinking the orange juice and coffee was painful. Eating the cornflakes was slow. Eating the cooked breakfast was so painful and slow that I had to stop half way through. Friends and family know that I never leave any food on my plate, everything is eaten. But on Tuesday I had to leave half my breakfast, sorry Denise. In Birmingham I did not eat my Ginsters pastie and again drinking water was painful. I sent Gail a text message saying that I wanted no dinner when I got home.

Wednesday morning I decided to phone a dentist as my tongue was not getting any better. It hurts to talk, drink and eat. I have never been to a dentist and am aware of the problems that people have with dentists. I decided to call the dentist that my parents and friends have used. I explained my situation and they said I could have an appointment at 12.00 on Thursday. Dinner on Wednesday was a slow and painful experience. I was just looking forward to Thursday when I hoped the dentist would agree to remove my problem tooth.

No improvement with my tongue this morning but I was looking forward to resolving the problem at the dentist. The receptionist gave me a simple medical form to fill in and then I saw the dentist, Paul Stockford of Canton Dental Care, 339 Cowbridge Road East, Canton, Cardiff. I explained my problem to Paul and that with my job it would be difficult to fit in a course of treatment, so please could he just simply remove my tooth. He said that he would have a look in my mouth.

After looking Paul said that there was quite a bit of decay in that tooth and he agreed with me that it would, in the circumstances, be better to remove my tooth rather than to fit a crown. So Paul set to work with his injections, waited for them to take effect and removed my problem tooth.

WOW! What a relief! Brilliant! There was no pain involved whatsoever. I feel like a new man!

I was worried that upon visiting a dentist they might refuse to remove my tooth and try to sell me a long and expensive course of treatment. Gladly Paul was of a different school and simply said "I can do that" when I asked him to just remove my tooth. Paul Stockford now has one very happy customer and I would recommend him to anyone. I am not registered with any dentist and he was happy to take me on as an emergency private case. For this I am very grateful because living with that torture of the constant tongue pain when talking, drinking or eating was dreadful. The treatment I received today was worth every penny. The costs were consultation at £35.00 plus extraction at £72.31 totalling £107.31

Since then I have been able to talk, drink and eat normally. Result!
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]