Sunday, March 13, 2011

Big Plate Thursday .

We went for a pub lunch last Thursday to the Oystercatcher, which is along Terra Nova Way in Penarth. The Oystercatcher is a Green King pub trading under the Hungry Horse brand. We looked at the very colourful menu and noticed the day sensitive list of special offers. What is that we spotted about half way down the menu card?

BIG PLATE THURSDAY from £5.99
FREE STARTER OR DESSERT WITH ANY BIG PLATE SPECIAL
EXCLUDES: GIANT COMBO FOR TWO, LARGE BUCKET O’ WINGS AND MILLIONAIRE’S CANDYMANIA.
BIG PLATE SPECIAL AND FREE STARTER OR DESSERT MUST BE ORDERED IN ONE TRANSACTION.

...Oh, I thought, that sounds damn good value to me! In the back of my mind before entering the restaurant, I had designs on the fish and chip supper which I have had many times before. Now, let's look at the closely, ah yes, the fish and chip supper is featured in the Big Plate Specials section of the menu...

FABULOUS JUMBO FISH & CHIP SUPPER £6.19
A bigger and better catch than the chippy! Hand battered
fish with chips, peas (mushy if you like), tartare sauce and
a wedge of lemon, served on a Hungry Horse newspaper.

...that is good, so would I prefer a starter or a pudding with my meal? Let's have a look at them all. No prizes for guessing that Gail chose a starter of a prawn cocktail but what did Stephen fancy? Oh, that sounds rather nice...

GIANT ROCKY ROAD £3.99
A delicious GIANT rocky road with marshmallows,
chocolate flakes, whipped mousse & toffee sauce.
All on a chocolate biscuit base with vanilla ice cream,
chocolate ice cream & chocolate sauce.

...oh yes, big boy, Stephen will go for that, thank you very much! So what did I get for my £6.19p? One nice big meal, thank you very much! The fish and chip supper was as good as ever. I do not know what breed of fish it actually is but it is gorgeous, white and plump, just like Gail. So I thought, bring on the pudding. I believe there is no such thing as a free lunch and that you only get what you pay for. Therefore any free dessert would probably be a child's portion. WRONG! It said GIANT ROCKY ROAD on the menu and boy! was this pudding big? It was a big mother of a pudding, big enough for 2 people to share comfortably. But Gail chose the starter, this was my pudding! I let her have a taste so that she knew what she was missing though! This GIANT ROCKY ROAD was a lovely dessert and actually worth £3.99p of anybody's money.

So, if you want a good value pub lunch for the healthy appetite, look on your calendar. If it is a Thursday, then head over to the nearest branch of the Hungry Horse brand. You will have a very good meal for the money.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]